Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bites



These little treats are kind of like a cookie...or a scone...or a muffin. Or, a combination of all three. So what does that make them? A scooffin?? Muffonie? Ha. :)

Regardless of what the best name for these treats is, one thing that is for sure is that they are deeelicious. And the flavors of these "bites" got better the longer they sat too. I thought they tasted better on day 3 than on day 1!

The recipe is from "Liv Life," a blog I stumbled upon through Pinterest. I'm glad I found it! What a terrific recipe this is. I can foresee making this recipe again and again over the years. Whether it's a treat for a road trip, an easy breakfast on a busy weekday, or an after school snack for the kiddos, this recipe is a keeper!

Ingredients:

-1/2 cup mashed banana
-1/2 cup peanut butter
-1/3 to 1/2 cup honey
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 cup old-fashioned oats
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/4 baking soda
-2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place the mashed banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well-combined. Stir in the chocolate chips, if using. Drop dough, two tablespoons at a time, onto prepared cookie sheets. If desired, flatten slightly to about 1/2 of an inch think. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 12 breakfast bites.

Store in airtight container for up to 4 days.


I also wanted to be sure to note that the original recipe for these actually calls for raisins, not chocolate chips. But I just couldn't help myself! I felt like these breakfast bites needed chocolate chips. But I am sure they'd be delicious with raisins too. :)


And can we talk about the health factor of these little guys? They're actually pretty good for you! Banana, peanut butter, oats, whole wheat flour, dark chocolate... And then, the natural sweetener of honey is used, and that has some health benefits as well! 


I actually didn't flatten these before baking. I just left them as is. But, if you wanted to give that a try, feel free! My bites were a bit more freeform.


What often happens when I'm blogging about a recipe is that I start to crave what I'm writing about... And that is definitely happening right now. I totally want to head to the kitchen and make these again!


I actually made these breakfast bites a couple weekends ago when my sister, Melissa, and our friend, Meg, and I ran a half marathon together! We ran the Middlebury Maple Run in Middlebury, VT. I made these treats as a snack for our road trip. They were the perfect healthy option for the car ride!


Here we are after the race. We all survived! And we definitely snacked on a couple of my pb banana oatmeal chocolate chip breakfast bites after the race too. We totally deserved them after running 13.1 miles. ;)

I realized that I have a few other recipes on the blog that are similar to these breakfast bites, so I thought I'd share them again with you if you love these flavors like I do!









No comments:

Post a Comment